Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Learning the Language

Before we go to the four cities, the team has to learn some language. Basic things like....

Thank you - Grazie
Your Welcome - Prego
Excuse me - Scusi (Scusa - with friends)
It's nothing - Di Niente
Allow me/Permit me - Permisso

Hello - Ciao
Good Morning - Buongiorno
Good Evening - Buonasera
Good Night - Buonanotte

The alphabet, numbers...
How much is it? - Quanto costa?
My name is... - Come mi chiamo...
What is your name? - Come ti chiami? (to young people)
What is your name? - Come si chiama? (to older people for respect)
What is his/her name? - Come si chiama?
Nice to meet you. - Piacere di conoscerti; or just - ciao; or just - piacere

Where is... - Dov'e'..... (point to map, etc....)
I don't know - Non lo so
I don't speak italiano - Non parlo italiano
Do you speak inglese? - Parli inglese? (informal) - Parla inglese? (formal)
Responses: yes - si; no - no; enough - abbastanza
I speak inglese - Io parlo inglese
I don't understand - non capisco; non ho capito


Here are a couple of pictures of their language time. Thanks to our friend, Emmanuela for teaching them...



No comments: