Saturday, April 28, 2007

From Verona to Parma

So this morning we went out to breakfast in small groups, as has been our custom for branching out into the neighborhoods. As we go, those of us who know Italian speak Italian, the others take the opportunity to find people who can speak English. Upon finding out who can speak English, we then have more information about the need for English as a means of reaching out to the community to a desire of theirs. This morning, Eric and I went to a Cafe several blocks from our hotel. It was run by a small blond Italian. Eric and I first got our breakfast and then we began a conversation, me in Italian and Eric in Spanish/English. Her name is Elisa, but she goes by Eli (pronounced Ellie) because she doesn't like her name Elisa. She was born in Verona and lived there her whole life. She said it is a great city, because it is close to the mountains, the lake and the city is beautiful too. I asked her how was the spiritual life of the city? She said that people say they believe but don't go to church or practice their faith. She said she doesn't anymore either. I asked why. She said that she believes, but doesn't know about the church (the Catholic church). She doesn't think you have to go to church to be a christian. Then the phone rang. She came back after the phone and she asked, why we were asking these kinds of questions. I said that I am a christian and a pastor. She replied, 'oh, ok'. I said that my wife and I have been in Ancona for years and we are praying about coming to a city in the north to start a new work in that city. Studying the Bible, helping people know more about Jesus, etc... I told her that we are visiting four cities and Verona is one of them. She gave us her opinions about the other cities, but then said she thought that we should choose Verona. After we paid, she said if you choose Verona, come back and find me. As we were leaving I gave her a business card, with my cell phone number and email address.

We had other opportunities in Verona and then we caught the train. We arrived in Parma in the early evening and explored the city, had dinner and then explored the city some more. At a cafe tonight, we me Diego, Nadia and Emmanuela. They told us how there are many "believers" but they don't practice anything or go to church. Emmanuela told us she used to but doesn't anymore. We talked about other things and before we left I told her that we would pray for her. She smiled and acted embarassed, so I said we will that is if you want us to. She enthusiastically said that she did want us to. So tonight before turning in our survey team prayed for her and other requests including for us to finish strong. We have tomorrow during the day and then we head back to Ancona in the early afternoon. We will have Life Group, dinner together then on Monday, begin compiling all the data. Thanks for any of you praying.

1 comment:

Jason Casey said...

Wow - marathon trip - sounds like you've made some good observations and that God led you to some neat encounters. We'll keep praying.