Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Thanksgiving

So....how often do you celebrate Thanksgiving. Most Americans would say once a year. When we were in China this was one of our favorite holidays. We would get together with a lot of friends and just spend the day. We would eat and play and share our blessings with each other. We would thank our dear heavenly Father who gave us these gifts. Really, it wasn't much different than here....except it was usually 80+ degrees!

I learned something new the other day though and I realized that I celebrate Thanksgiving waaay more often. Do you know what the word Eucharist comes from? It comes from the Greek Eukaristos which means grateful and is often translated as thanksgiving. Some place way back when, the Lord's supper came to be called the Eucharist. That is the thanksgiving meal!

So every time you gather around the Lord's table for communion it's Thanksgiving time. I know I am certainly grateful for what those emblems represent; my salvation! God's grace, mercy, faithfulness, and goodness are well worth celebrating!

No comments: