Saturday, April 26, 2008

The One Who Provides

I attended a women's retreat last weekend. The speaker shared with us many of the Hebrew names of God and their meanings. Most I had heard before, but hadn't thought of lately. She shared how Hagar had given God a name- El Roi, "the God who sees". Many of the ladies shared some very creative names for who God has been at various times in their lives; "my Demerol" (he takes the edge off!), "my pumice stone" (he wants to work off the calluses of my heart), "my super glue" (he holds me together), and "my lead dog" (from a woman who spent time in Alaska and gave us an appreciation for all that the lead dog of a dog team does) are all examples. The leaders wanted us to take the time to figure out who God was for us at this point in our lives.

I realized that now, as in the vast majority of my life, God is to me El Shaddai, "the one who provides". He has provided everything for me since I was conceived- a Christian family, dear friends (in every place I've been), food, shelter, and many things that I've wanted, but not needed. Most of all, he provided his son to be the sacrifice for my sins and offered me forgiveness and eternal life with him! He gives me many chances to keep trying and to share him with my world. I'm not even beginning to really express how he provides the tiny and the huge things in my life.

So, now, as we are in this time of raising funds so that we can go to Verona and as we are living in the USA where prices far exceed those we knew in China I know things will be just fine. El Shaddai will see that we have what we need. He will provide the right partners at the right time. He will work all this out according to his timing and his plan. He will provide the people we need to share him with and to them he will provide us to share. He will work out every detail. He is El Shaddai, "my provider".

1 comment:

Jobove - Reus said...

very good blog, congratulations
regard from Catalonia Spain
thank you