Thursday, April 24, 2008

Masks

My kids have prom this Saturday night. I think they will have a fun time. Their prom is going to be masquerade style. They will wear the fancy dresses and tuxes, but they will also wear masks. So, Jessica, Luke, and I have been working on making masks for them. They’re turning out pretty good.

Prom. I remember my prom. I wish I didn’t. I cringe when I think about it. Being a somewhat typical teen at the time, I had my share of acne. Not wanting to go to prom like that, I took matters into my own hands…literally. By the time I was done, my blackheads were gone, but my face was all red, swollen, and blotchy. How I wish I had a mask then!

Life is like that sometimes. We are embarrassed or ashamed and we put on a mask. Do people notice? It’s hard to tell, because they wear masks, too. As Christians, we know that we’ve been set free from our shame and from things that we’ve done which would cause us to be embarrassed. So, why do we wear masks? Why do we feel compelled to hide behind this persona of perfection? And why are Christians seemingly the main segment of the population wearing masks?

Yet, in this world where people are crying out to be real and to know others who are real, we aren’t. Do we want to share with people the glorious hope that we have in Christ? We have to take off our masks. Are we ready for that? Are others ready for that? Does it matter?

I’m afraid.

No comments: