Monday, October 29, 2007

It Will Be OK

A confession: I am an artistic couch potato. I haven’t ballroom danced in four years. I haven’t sung an aria in five or painted in three. So, how’s this art thing going to work? How will I get my feet, lungs, fingers, muscles, and mind to get back in shape? What if it’s been too long and neither my mind nor my body can do it?

I’ve been thinking a lot about this and wondering if it is really possible? Since our outreach is going to circle around the arts… and since we’re doing this for the Lord’s glory, shouldn’t my artistic skills be excellent? Yes.

So, this weekend, while I was watching a ballroom dancing school showoff at a hotel I stayed in, I watched with a mixture of curiosity and those haunting questions of inadequacy. And then, with the help of a very confident friend, I asked a teacher if he would dance the Cha-Cha with me. He raised his eyebrows and said, “Sure.”

And my feet remembered. My arms knew what to do. My mind read his mind so I’d know what move was next. And the teacher asked me if I knew the Salsa. Yes, I did.

A large, heavy peace settled on my shoulders. It would be OK. God will teach me the things I need to get His work done. He will lead. And I will follow one step at a time.

No comments: