Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Great Commandments and the Great Commission


Of late, I have been thinking often of the Great Commandments and the Great Commission. I'm sure you all remember them.

Matthew records Jesus' answer to a question in this way:
Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it. 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Later in that same Gospel, Jesus gives his followers this commission:
"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

I am really good at the Great Commission. I have been in China for six years doing just that. But, the Great Commandments, that's another story, unfortunately. I mean, I do love the Lord, but do I love him with all my heart and with all my soul and with all my mind? Let's just say that there is definitely room for improvement. But where I really fail is in the second commandment. "Love your neighbor."

When I was a teenager, I often dreamed about living alone on a deserted island. My opinion was that the Earth was a pretty good place...except for the people. I know myself better now, and I realize that I would be miserable without those extended family members called the human race. I have learned to take them...in small doses. I can even take large doses for a limited period of time.

But, loving them? I want to, Lord. I know I will love them in Paradise! But, what about now? Neither you nor they need me to love them then, Lord. You need me to love them now! That's how they'll know we are Christians -- by our love!

It's an easy trap to fall into. We'll get you all fixed up, then we'll associate with you and even -- perhaps -- love you. That's not what our neighbors (whom we impersonally call "the world") need. Our neighbors need God's love. They need our love.

Lord Jesus, help me to love my neighbors as you do. Help me to show that unconditional love to them. Help me to love them all, from the ones next door, to the ones at the four corners of the Earth. Conform me into your likeness. Amen.

No comments: