Friday, June 6, 2008

bon apetite

For those of you who don't know yet, I am the pickiest eater in the entire world. When I say picky, I mean it. I like everything plain and I have alot of trouble trying new food or anything that looks different than what I am used too. I've been like this since I was little. At the age of 10, my mom had to pay me 5 bucks to try a cheeseburger. I didn't even try scrambled eggs until I was 20. For Brandon's birthday a couple years ago, I tried chinese food. Don't even get me started on the Ethiopian Restaurant we went to at Launch. That was a hard one for me.

I am making a serious effort get better about trying things. Since we moved to Indiana, I have tried about 4 new things. This is due mostly to my understanding and patient husband and his mother who is the best cook in the world. They never force me or really make me try anything. They just tell me what's in it and let me make up my mind. This approach tends to work the best. Anyways, This is a really big deal for me. Ussually, I will only try about one new thing every two years.

Why the sudden burst of adventurous eating?

If you would have asked me to consider being a missionary 5 years ago, I would have probably said no and my main reason behind that would have been that I am a picky eater. I couldn't handle the thought of new cuisine and new ingredients. One would think this would be a huge concern for me now as we plan and prepare for Italy. It's not though. Knowing this would be a hard thing for me, I began praying about it as soon as I knew we might go to Italy. I can already see God working in this area of my life. The four new foods I have tried should attest to that. I just know I can't let the fact that it's hard for me to try new food to jeopardize the call God's put on my life.

It may not be eating new food, but we all have something to overcome in order to accomplish the tasks God has set out for us. For missionaries it might be learning the language, adjusting to being away from home or differences in culture. It could also be getting over our pride and asking for God to help us no matter how trivial our issues might seem. Whatever it is we have to overcome, God can help us if we just ask him.

No comments: