Thursday, April 2, 2009

Beryl Sloneker, 1917-2009

Then another man stood before you, he said "Remember the time,
A missionary came to your church, His pictures made you cry.
You didn't have much money but you gave it anyway.
Jesus took that gift you gave
And that's why I'm in Heaven today


Last week I went to the hospital to see Mrs. Sloneker, a 91 year-old prayer warrior. She was curled up weary from heart failure and years of waiting to go Home. As soon as she heard my name she asked, “When are you going to Italy?” Her daughter was shocked at her mental clarity. She knew. She had been praying and she knew exactly what God was doing. She died that night. Today I went to her memorial service. The last song sung was, “Thank You” by Ray Boltz. As we watched a slide show we saw pictures of people around the world. They were miscellaneous people until one of them was me. I was surrounded by some of my Haitian children. Later, I found out that those pictures were of people the Sloneker family loved and prayed for.
A year ago today many of you began your commitment to pray for the work God is going to do through me in Verona, Italy. It’s coming. I am preparing my application for a Religious Worker Visa. I’m buying a one-way ticket. The real estate agent is looking for the right apartment. If God is not in these things, they are in vain. Thank you for praying. I need you. The people in Verona need you.

No comments: