Friday, February 20, 2009

Dry calls....

When I got back from Colorado I was so pumped and ready to go to Italy right away.  I am ready to pack my bags and go start learning Italian.  It was such a rejuvenating time.  

I got back and was bombarded by support raising.  My bubble popped.  I thought to myself, "It's going to be so much easier from now on to raise support!"  Well, I think it is actually gotten harder, but I am more aware of what I'm doing and also know how to balance my days between language learning, fundraising and prayer and scripture time. (that's a BIG +)  

Believe it or not, but there are 300 churches in Wichita, KS alone!  Today I called about 10% of them.  Yup, 30 churches.  It was funny because by the 15th church I called, it started to be kind of fun and I noticed myself being more friendly and cheery about it.  

This is what my dialogue was and I stumbled all over it, but I'm learning to communicate my message better... 

"Hi! my name is Brandi Davis and I'm a missionary raising financial support.  Is there a missions coordinator or pastor that I could talk to at your church?"  

The receptionist would answer and say these following choices:
  • They are lay leaders
  • Let me find out who that is.. just one second
  • Our pastor is in charge of the missions
  • They are out of town, call back on Monday
  • Here is their email 
So I got a lot of church homework cut out for me!  

If they did not answer I left a message and said:

"Hi, my name is Brandi Davis and I'm a missionary raising financial support. (pause)  I work for Team Expansion, which is a church planting missions organization based in Louisville, KY.  I plan to go to Verona, Italy to start a church plant with 7 other team members.  I would appreciate your call back.  Please call my cell phone at 316-259-6044 
Thanks and Have a great day!

I kind of sounded like a salesman despite the few hiccups, sneezes and long pauses because I forgot what to say.  

I have learned that the connections that you have are only the beginning.  There are millions of connections to many different churches, you just have to find them.... 
I found a whole lot today.

That was my adventure for today, which produced a headache and fatigue.  The great thing about it is that I'm not scared of dry calls anymore!  I actually like to do it; as weird as that may sound, it's true.

Just a minute ago a pastor of a church that I contacted called back and sounded interested!  See.... connection! 

I'm feelin' good:)



No comments: