Monday, February 4, 2008

Tit for Tat

I'm trying to imagine how my life in Italy will be different that it is here in Haiti. I most often think about this in the kitchen. Here, I make things in bulk and freeze them in the big deep freezer downstairs. Because we get things shipped in from Sam's Club, when I open a bag of chicken, it's a BAG of chicken. So, I just go ahead and use a lot of it. Then, I have nice little individual servings of lasagna, enchiladas, or whatever. I even make huge batches of bread dough and freeze them in little balls - perfect for individual buns or pizzas.

This morning, as I was putting my frozen breakfast taco in the toaster oven, and thought... oh, I'll really miss being able to freeze so much. With European sized freezers, a month's worth of breakfast tacos will not be an option.

But then I took the salsa out of the fridge and thought, "Oh! But I will get to make my own salsa with fresh peppers and huge tomatoes!"

It seems that for every thing I imagine I'll loose, there will be something else knew to discover.

I think this is how God works. There are always blessings... always surprises... always little prizes waiting for us when we obey Him. For me, I can't wait for those fresh vegetables!

You're invited for dinner. We'll have a salad with artichokes and beautiful bell peppers and the freshest of olives. And soft mozzarella cheese. Don't even get me started talking about the cheese.

No comments: